Monday 27 June 2011

A way to get me writing

I have signed up to take part in the very exciting looking http://cpd23.blogspot.com
which is a 'self-directed course aimed at introducing you to a range of tools that could help your personal and professional development as a librarian, information professional or something else.' I'm a something else, being a museum and archives educator, but think this encouragement in my blogging and professional development will be really useful.

Thing No. 1 is blogging. I have been on internet forums since I was 14 (hello embarrassing nu-metal bands..) written on Livejournal since I was 17, and am a regular on Facebook and Twitter. But I've never quite managed blogging. There is something about the private/public thing, especially when it relates to work that makes me really uncomfortable. I always worry about saying the wrong thing (normally at exhibition openings when I get anxious about free wine making me loose-tongued) and writing about work just seems to be asking for that to happen. So I am never too obvious about where I work - it wouldn't be too hard to guess from where I am and what I do, but I feel better if I don't make it explicit. Especially as I prefer this blog to about learning more generally, and not specifically as it applies to my job at the time (which is a bit of an issue with the increasing popularity of fixed-term contracts!)

I do spend a lot of time reading up about archives/museums/libraries/digital culture on the internet, and I see this project as a way to structure the CPD I've maybe been doing without realising it, and to give me an opportunity to reflect on and share what I've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment