Thursday 30 June 2011

Considering my personal brand

Task 3 of cpd23 is to 'consider my personal brand'. To do this, I thought I would look at the various ways in which I present myself online. I don't worry too much about potential employers seeing photos of me, because I don't think there are any incriminating photos of me out there - the worst you could see is me grinning with a glass of wine.

On Twitter, I recently changed my name from my real name to dorotheainrome, partly so it matches this blog, but also because I am scared of talking about work under my real name. I don't even really talk about work, but I do use Twitter for networking purposes. To be honest, I should probably have a personal account and a work one, but the boundary is so fluid for me (a lot of friends are also colleagues; personal interests are potential freelance opportunities) that I don't know what would go where. So I just stick to trying not to swear too much. My profile is mainly disclaimer:

'Museum educator with tendency for self-deprecation and being a little passionate (ranty) about politics and such.All views expressed are mine and not employers'

.. which is typically self-deprecating, and shows that I also feel awkward about how passionate I can get!

My Facebook profile has the following as a quotation:
"It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them. How can we ever be satisfied without them until our feelings are deadened?" Yet more George Eliot, this time from Mill on the Floss.

So far it seems I want to hide my identity while on the internet, whilst also showing quite a lot of my personality. Curious.

This also got me thinking about what my personal brand is in person. I recently realised that what I had thought was an endearing quality - telling amusing stories about my inability to get the correct bus etc - was actually me undermining myself. I think I may have started doing this in order to not seem stuck-up or intimidating. I used to be quite shy, and people always thought I was being aloof, but it seems to have backfired, and I am now making a conscious effort not to do myself down, especially while at work.

What do you think your offline personal brand is?

No comments:

Post a Comment