Monday 22 November 2010

More than one year on

Gosh, those intentions didn't really work out, did they? I did indeed study for an MA in Museum Studies, and will be graduating in a week or so's time.

Deciding to go back to university was one of the best decisions I've made. It reinforced my inkling that I wanted to work with people instead of Word documents, and I have developed a strong interest in community work in museums and cultural institutions , particularly with young people. I was fortunate enough to work in the community engagement department of a national museum and wrote my dissertation on the use of youth panels by museums.

When I finished my MA I started looking for a job, any job, and was considering going back into marketing, because it was what I knew, when amazingly I got a part-time job as a freelance educator, working with young people around ideas of heritage, identity and discrimination. It is exactly what I want to be doing, and I feel very fortunate.

I am also working as a research assistant on a digital heritage project, and volunteering for an oral history/archive project about popular politics in the North East and a cultural project with the regional refugee service. So I am quite a busy girl!

I hope I will be better at writing in here than I was a year ago. It was quite a significant year, not only in terms of professional development, but also personal as I came out of a very long-term relationship and learned a lot about myself. I'm not sure whether the clarity I found regarding my career aspirations would have happened without this personal development or vice versa, but I am in a much better place than I was in the post below.

No comments:

Post a Comment